Membership Services Manager
Overview of Position
This staff position offers a high potential opportunity for someone who is a self-starter with a team attitude, an appreciation for customer-service and ability to project a positive organizational image. The primary responsibility will be the recruitment of new and retention of existing members through personal contact, the evaluation and development of member benefits and the solicitation and sales of sponsorship opportunities.
General Membership Responsibilities
- Assist in the planning and implementation of Chamber programming.
- Responsible for working within the membership budget and attaining the goals set within.
- Knowledge of all Skokie Chamber benefits and be able to effectively communicate those benefits of membership.
- Coordinate with staff on marketing, news releases, and all Skokie Chamber publications; submit membership-related articles, member index and photos for publications.
- Work with staff to develop and coordinate marketing plan and the development of new programs for member services, retention and sponsorship.
- Assist with office coverage.
- Recruit and supervise the Membership and Ambassador teams.
- Sit on the Membership Committee and provide administrative support to Committee Chairperson.
- Supervise committees as needed.
- Coordinate Orientation and Retention Programming with the Executive Director
- Attendance required at Business After Hours, Business Before Hours, Networking programs, Network Now! programs, committee meetings as assigned, grand openings/ribbon cutting ceremonies and other membership events.
- Assist the Executive Assistant in managing the Social Media initiatives.
- Ability to deliver exceptional customer service to members, prospective members and residents alike.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, determine priorities and make appropriate decisions.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
New Membership Responsibilities
- Attain sales quota in new membership sales, properly complete sales activity report each week and review with Executive Director.
- Maintain active contact with members; identify opportunities to upgrade accounts to MemberPlus program and anticipate extra attention needed to retain individual memberships.
- Represent the Skokie Chamber of Commerce at appropriate programs, functions, expos, association meetings, networking events, and community festivals, etc.
- Maintain and update a prospective member list and actively acquire prospective member contacts.
- Maintain the member database, “Chamber Master” with correct and current member information and demographics.
- Maintain the membership hard files.
- Assemble and mail new member “welcome packets.”
- Responsible for getting new members and prospects to attend “Chamber 101 Orientations.”
- Suggest and sell Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting packages.
- Coordinate and implement successful, membership campaigns, when directed.
- Provide necessary monthly board reports pertaining to new membership.
Member Retention and Renewal
- Maintain targeted retention rate of existing Chamber members.
- Establish positive working relationships with member companies to support member retention
- Work with Executive Director and staff to establish and carry out a plan of personal contact for members.
- Conduct member surveys to increase member awareness of member needs and benefits; evaluate and recommend new member benefits to the Executive Director.
- Assemble and mail member “renewal packets.”
- Communicate with the Executive Director and staff regarding any individual issues or needs that may arise with a member or member company that may need attention or resolution
- Plan and execute regularly scheduled “Chamber 101 Orientations” that will inform new members about ways in which they may receive the most value from Chamber membership.
- Make collection calls on ''at risk'' membership dues at the end of each month.
- Attain sales quota in sponsorship sales for programs, events and fundraising activities. General areas include:
- Program Sponsors
- Membership Luncheon Sponsors
- Community Festival Sponsorships
- Golf Outing Sponsors
- Spring Greening Sponsors and Exhibitors
- Taste of Skokie Valley Sponsors and Ad Book Participants
- Wednesdays on the Green Sponsors and Exhibitors
- Complete sales activity report each week and review with Executive Director.
- Responsible for maintaining up-to-date and accurate information in the “Sponsorship Directory.”
- Sell MemberPlus program and assist Executive Assistant with keeping track of member benefits used by Chamber participants.
- Keep accurate records of all sales and facilitate written agreements and contracts from each sponsor.
- Responsible for the follow through with each member to ensure sponsor benefits are being given.
- Suggest value-add programs such as Member-to-Member Discounts and “Hot Deals”
- Attention to detail
- Project a professional demeanor
- Establishes and maintains relationships well
- Maintain numerous projects at once
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Some knowledge of QuickBooks
- Excellent organization skills
- Good time management
- Ability to lift heavy objects
5+ years in non-profit development or sales experience
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher
Event management experience
Comfortable and pro-active with social media
This is an at-will position, with a base salary and generous commission structure. Terms are established by the Board of Trustees and are subject to change based on performance, meeting of goals or organizational budget circumstances.
Base Salary: $35,000 plus commission as outlined below
$50 cell phone expense reimbursement per month and $250 per month healthcare stipend.
- 20% on new members
- 30% commission on new members after budget goal is realized
- 20% on returning members 30 days past drop or resignation date
- 10% on member renewals as a residual for a period of 3 years
- 10% on MemberPlus memberships sold
- 20% on MemberPlus memberships after budget goal is realized
- 20% on collection of 60-90 day past due “member at risk” invoices, depending on assignment by Executive Director
- 20% on new sponsorships sold. This includes program sponsorships, tradeshow booths, Taste of Skokie Valley sponsor and ad book participants, Wednesdays on the Green Sponsorships and Table Participants, Spring Greening Sponsorships and Golf Outing sponsorships sold. This does not include community festivals such as Festival of Cultures or Backlot Bash where the Chamber is a participant but receives no income.
- 10% on sponsorship renewals not assigned to Executive Director
- 20% on Eblast Ads where sold
- 10% on Website and Chamber App advertising
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org